Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service has launched a campaign aimed at raising awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Laura Kavanagh-Jones from SFRS’s Prevention team said: “Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Too many people are dying or suffering needlessly from carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s why I am urging every resident in Shropshire to make sure they and their loved ones are protected by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm.”
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn completely. The most common cause of this is when an appliance, such as a boiler or cooker, is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. The deadly gas can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
As carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste and can seep through walls, installing an audible alarm that sounds when the gas is present is the only way to make sure you are protected. The gas can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler, cooker or fire – which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation.
Shropshire and Wrekin Fire and Rescue Authority member, Councillor Chris Turley, said: “Our campaign aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and we are urging everyone, not just renters, to protect themselves and their families by purchasing an audible alarm. They are available at supermarkets, DIY stores, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. They save lives.”
SFRS is holding events across Shropshire. Visitors will have a chance to win an alarm and get a free home fire safety visit.
The events are being staged:
Monday 23rd May – Oswestry Library – 10:00 – 14:00
Wednesday 25th May – B&Q Shrewsbury – 10:00 – 15:00
Thursday 26th May – Homebase Wellington – 10:00 – 14:00
Friday 27th May – Bishops Castle – 11:00 – 14:00