A band of volunteers will next week help Telford shoppers wrap their Christmas presents whilst raising money for the Midlands Air Ambulance.
Girl dies in south Shropshire campsite tragedy
A teenage girl has died and her younger brother, mother and step-father have suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from a disposable barbecue whilst staying at a south Shropshire camping site.
The family, were found unconscious inside their tent by a relative at the Baron at Bucknell campsite just before 10:00am on Sunday.
The 14-year-old girl was in cardiac arrest being given CPR by a female doctor who was staying at the campsite when ambulance crews arrived.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: â€œAmbulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girlâ€™s heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead at the scene.
â€œA boy, believed to be 11 years old, was suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Crews and the doctor began oxygen therapy and, due to his serious condition, the boy was airlifted to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for emergency treatment; paramedics continued to monitor the boys condition on route to hospital.
â€œA woman and man were also given oxygen therapy by ambulance crews before being taken by land ambulance on blue lights to the same hospital for further treatment.â€
In a statement released by the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on behalf of the extended family, they said:
“Our priority as a family is to ensure that the three people in hospital get well and are fully recovered.
“We are devastated by this tragic accident and will release a full statement at a later date.
“We would ask that you respect our privacy at this time.”
Police are continuing to investigate the unexplained death
Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade of West Mercia Police said:
“Although our work at the scene concluded yesterday afternoon, we will continue to work with the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to investigate this incident.
“We are treating the girl’s death as unexplained, but there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances. It is therefore unlikely we will have any longer term involvement with this incident.
“The teenage boy is described as being stable but as still ‘unwell’ at the hospital this morning, while the man and the woman are now said to be in a comfortable condition.”
Campsite Owners Speak of Tragedy
Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said the family was part of a larger group made up of the mother’s two sisters and their respective partners and children, staying in a number of tents on the site.
Mr Wright said the group had become concerned when nobody in the family’s tent awoke. He said: “They had gone into the tent and found them all unconscious. One of the sisters came and said, ‘We need an ambulance urgently’.
“There was a disposable barbecue which they had used the night before in the porch of the tent. The emergency services were on the scene within five minutes. They worked on the girl for some time but they couldn’t save her.”
Two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, a paramedic area support officer, a community first responder, a medical first responder and two Midlands Air Ambulances from Cosford and Strensham, one with a doctor on board, attended the scene.
This winter the National Trust will be spreading a bit of Christmas magic and sharing favourite festive traditions, whether old or new, with visitors in Shropshire.
Competitions and Offers
shropshirelive.com has teamed up with Shropshire’s premier fitness, leisure and tennis club to give you a chance to win free gym membership for a month.More Competitions And Offers ➞